METHISMENA – Drunken Sweet Bites
- 1 regular bottle of beer – preferably Greek – such as Mythos
- 2 cups corn or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- All purpose flour – as much as it takes
- 2 cups walnut roughly chopped
- Marmalade – flavor of your choice such as Seville Orange
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
In a bowl combine beer, baking soda, oil and enough flour to make a soft dough, such as for pie. In a separate bowl, combine walnuts, cloves and cinnamon. Add enough marmalade to have a relatively stiff filling. Divide the dough into small balls and using the palm of your hand, press the ball into about 2 1/2 inch flat circle. In the middle of each circle, place a teaspoon of the walnut filling and fold dough to form a half moon. Using your fingers press the edges to ‘glue’ together.
Place filled half-moons on a sheet pan that has been brushed with a little oil. Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes until they are golden. Once out of the oven, and still warm, dust with powdered sugar just like wedding cookies.
Maria A Sakellariou
Culinary Odyssey LLC
Personal Chef Service